Support independent arts journalism by joining our Patreon! Currently $5/month.

About Superconductor

Our motto: "Critical thinking in the cheap seats." Unbiased, honest classical music and opera opinions, occasional obituaries and classical news reporting, since 2007. All written content © 2019 by Paul J. Pelkonen. For more about Superconductor, visit this link. For advertising rates, click this link. Follow us on Facebook.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

An Open Letter to The Readers

And a one. And a two....
Hi folks. Paul Pelkonen here, the guy you see on the front page, the writer, editor, author (oh hell, Grand High Poobah) of Superconductor.

This has been an exciting year for this blog, and I wanted to take a minute to thank everyone who has helped to elevate this little publication to the status of a slightly bigger blog. That includes you, my readers new and old, people I've handed a business card to, and folks who have found me through Google, through blog links, or through word of mouth.

Two things changed for Superconductor in 2010. One was that I decided (given the dearth of available writing work) to treat this blog as an every-day responsibility. That meant a lot more writing, a lot more reviews, and (apparently) a lot more readers. I try to write whenever possible, and I hope you find my 'voice' entertaining, informative, and above all, honest. I've been in and around the opera and music business for 14 years now, and I'm glad to be working in it under my own "flag."

The second was that I really wanted to see Il Mondo della Luna as presented by the excellent Gotham Chamber Opera. Partially because I really like Haydn. But also because I wanted to see what an opera would be like if it were presented at the (former) Hayden Planetarium.

I mean, how often do you get to see an in-the-round opera performed under a dome? I asked for tickets. They said "yes." And I started writing letters. Small opera companies at first, and then the big guys. The New York Philharmonic. Carnegie Hall. The New York City Opera. And most of them said yes, time and energy and caffeine permitting.

I still keep my subscription at the Met--you can find me in the Family Circle most Monday nights, but the generosity of New York's premiere performing arts venues has been a big part of this year's success. So to any press agents, record company folks, and media representatives reading me: THANK YOU.

But this thing is really about the readers and keeping you informed. So I'd like some feedback. Opera reviews are a given, and people seem to like the previews I've been doing for the Met season.

So what do you want to see?
  • More CD recommendations?
  • Guides to "Classical 101" or "Opera 101"?
  • Shopping Guides or Buyer's Guides?
  • Interviews with actual opera singers?
  • Me to stop blathering and write the Pelléas et Mélisande review?
  • An editorial page with more blathering?
Write in and let me know. Comment here or e-mail me at ppelkonen@gmail.com. And thank you, for being part of Superconductor!

On to 2011!

Yours, in the cheap seats (OK, sometimes they're free).

Paul J. Pelkonen
Author, Editor, Publisher,
Grand High Poohbah,
Superconductor

Trending on Superconductor

Translate

Share My Blog!

Share |

Critical Thinking in the Cheap Seats